12.28.2009

Pink Bread

first of all:


secondly, I have all this purple carrot juice that I don't feel like drinking --> Pink bread!



I made up a recipe, as follows:

1 c warm water
2.5 t yeast
2 T agave

put this stuff in a bowl (cracked a glass bowl doing this, darn)
and let the yeast foam for about 10 minutes

2 c millet flour
.5 c brown rice flour
1 T tapioca starch
1 t xanthan gum

mix it all up, dry and wet stuff

add purple carrot juice until the dough has enough liquid (and is also pink)

lots of: sumac, thyme, sunflower seeds, barberries, himalayan pink rock salt
(or whatever other spices appeal to you instead. I have a hunch that a cinnamon/cayenne/cardamom/goji berry bread would be damn tasty)

knead it all together, coat in olive oil, put it in a pan, covered, in a warm place
for an hour or more.

apparently gluten-free bread doesn't need to be kneaded a second time (or even
a first!) so when it has risen a bunch you can just shove it in the oven (375 deg./1 hr).

a tip I read is to put a skillet of water in the oven with the bread. I did this but not
until late, so I don't know if it worked, but the bread will dry out super fast, so I
recommend giving it a shot.

Let the bread sit in the pan to cool for a while before taking it out, and viola!





the result? delicious! Things to change: it's a little bitter, but I don't know whether
that is from the flours or the spices. I'll mess around next time.

mmmmmmm!

No comments: