8.12.2010

pickles!

I made out like a bandit at the farmer's market today: dates, almonds,
peppers, golden beets and greens, garlic, lemon cucumbers, early girl
and heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, basil, radishes, and one of the first
apples of the season, all grown nearby.



So obviously, I decided to try some more pickles.


Brine:
rice vinegar
white balsamic vinegar
honey
salt


Left to right:

1/2 lemon cucumber
1/4 apple
1 vanilla bean
brine

2 lemon cucumbers
a bunch of basil leaves
juniper berries
brine

1 jalapeno pepper
1/4 apple
2 cloves garlic
brine
(note: the jalapenos and garlic I got at the farmers market are infinitely
more potent than conventional ones from a grocery store.)

7-8 radishes
brine

The sealing went well, only one broke, and after the second attempt, all
of them sealed.

It's funny to be stocking my pantry in August, but I guess there's no better time?



No comments: